Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The U.S. Vs. John Lennon


Starting with the exhibit at Proud Galleries, John Lennon Remember Love, he’s been on my mind lately. I just read an article about the animated short I Met the Walrus which was up for an Oscar and based on a fourteen year old’s interview with John Lennon. How cool is that?

I recently watched the documentary The U.S. vs. John Lennon. Can artists really have an impact politically? Well, the U.S. government seemed to be concerned that the answer to that question was yes. The DVD has some great extras. There is excellent footage of an interview between Lennon and Gloria Emerson from the New York Times. Here’s an except (thank goodness for subtitles!).
Emerson - I’m someone who admired you very much
Lennon - I’m sorry you liked the old mop tops, dear and you thought I was very satirical and witty and you liked A Hard Day’s Night, love, but I’ve grown up, but you obviously haven’t.
Emerson - Have you?
Lennon – Yes, folks
Emerson - What have you grown up to?
Lennon - 29
Lennon - “If I’m gonna get on the front page, I might as well get on it with the word ‘Peace’”.
Emerson - But you’ve made yourself look ridiculous
Lennon - To some people, I don’t care.
Emerson - You’re too good
Lennon - If it saves lives
Emerson - You don’t think you, Oh, my dear boy, you’re living in a never-never land. You don’t think you’ve saved a single life?

It goes on from there. I knew nothing about Gloria Emerson as I watched the documentary, but what struck me was the posh accent. Very quickly the argument changed from reporter and musician to working class kid arguing with the aristocracy. Even though the documentary could be heavy-handed, I walked away with more respect for John Lennon than I had before. --J

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, they used part of that interview in Imagine as well. Man, I sure didn't have that much nerve when I was 29! Unreal.

    ReplyDelete