Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Beauty (and the Problem) of the Music Video

It’s rare these days to actually get videos spoon-fed to you since MTV is not what it used to be. Now, I feel like getting to see a video is work that I have to do, seeking out a band’s website or youtube if I am curious. I was at a bowling alley in England recently and they had a video jukebox which projected videos in between the monitor’s that displayed the bowler’s scores. As you can imagine, the noise of the game drowned out the music, so you were left with just the image.

It was here that I first saw Razorlight’s 2005 video Stumble and Fall. What a terrific video! It has everything you want in a rock video: scruffy but not ugly musicians, fast editing, flashy lighting, etc. etc. I fell in love with it and had to go watch it again on the band’s website. Unfortunately, now that I have heard the song with the video, my feelings about Razorlight remain the same. Can’t say I won’t watch the video a few more times with the sound turned low. --J

P.S. The video is not on youtube but you can watch it from the band's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment