Friday, February 29, 2008

Let's Get Back to Basics

Right now the Juno soundtrack is getting a lot of press. Personally, I can’t get into the whole Kimya Dawson/Moldy Peaches thing. A little goes a long way. One of the tracks featured on the Juno soundtrack is Sonic Youth’s cover of Superstar, which was part of a Carpenters tribute record awhile back. The Carpenters version (not the original by the way) is a guilty pleasure of mine. The song is creepy/depressing/obsessive/melodramatic. It’s awesome! I used to make fun of my friend R for his undying love of The Carpenters, when I myself harbored a soft spot for this song. I mean, what would happen if you played Superstar and Killing Me Softly back to back? That combination might be deadly. Maybe I should try it and see.

This video is priceless. Karen’s dress, the bangs, Richard’s bowtie, need I say more? --J

No comments:

Post a Comment