Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Speaking of Dave Grohl...

J's post about the Champaign show is cracking me up. It was a party, for sure. The after-show meet and greet solidified my love for the guys. They were totally cool. I didn’t care one bit that I had to go to work in a few hours. I would sacrifice sleep for these guys any time (Ok, I don't mean it in that way! YES I DO!).
Speaking of work, I know I should try and keep work and private life separate, but I need to give up that endeavor. I have too many friends and acquaintances in my customer base and in the company that will prevent this job from ever being any other 8-5er. In 2005, I was in Fairfax, VA (Hi-oh, Dave!) to meet a client and discuss upcoming projects. At noon, one of the contacts from the site, A, and I went out to grab some lunch for the staff and started chit chatting about the area and his family. He mentioned that he has a son who is obsessed with music (he is currently at Rock Camp), especially David Bowie. "A" revealed that he was a big Bruce Springsteen fan and how he was originally from New Jersey, etc. It was the first time I had met, A, and I was so pleased to know we had music in common. The conversation meandered to Dave Grohl, who, I knew, had gone to school in the Fairfax area. I told him that my “friend” was a huge FF fan and that we were planning on seeing them soon since they were on tour to support In Your Honor. He acknowledged this and said that there had recently been in article in the newspaper about Dave’s academic history. He forwarded me this email, which I promptly sent to J. Needless to say, he gained credits in our book after forwarding this to me. Note that he thought my use of the term "friend" was me wishing to protect my identity. -K
K:
For your 'friend' from the Sunday Washington Post

Readers Tell Us

Annandale writes: I have known David Grohl since he was a young lad and noticed an error in your "Shout Out" [Oct. 19]. David did not attend Annandale High School, but rather Thomas Jefferson High School (before it was a magnet science and tech school).

Ah, the old "I knew Dave Grohl when . . ." It's the Northern Virginia thirty-something equivalent of "Yeah, Woodstock, I was there , man . . ." Look, we're all in favor of name-dropping (have we mentioned that we have an ex-boyfriend whose best friend was in a band with Grohl and a best friend whose ex-boyfriend was in a band with Grohl?). Still, we've always been suspicious of all the people who claim to have gone to high school with the Foo Fighters frontman. There couldn't be that many! (Or could there . . . ?)

We asked the folks at the Fairfax County Public Schools to look up Grohl's permanent record (they really keep this stuff!). Turns out the best rock drummer of his generation did, indeed, make the rounds during his school days. So as a public service to all of you trying to check the veracity of your buddies' pre- Nirvana stories, we present the official academic journey of David Grohl:

Thomas Jefferson High School, Alexandria, 1983-84
Bishop Ireton High School, Alexandria, 1984-86
Annandale High School, 1986-87, dropped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment