Friday, July 14, 2006

New York Doll by Judakris

Protopunk is a term I’ve recently come across. It describes something that is a precursor to punk rock. This is exactly what you learn about the glam-punk group New York Dolls in the documentary New York Doll. In this documentary, there are several well-known commentators like Sir Bob Geldof, Chrissie Hynde, and Morrissey who wax nostalgic on the impact this band had on their lives and on their respective music scenes. I always knew of the New York Dolls because all of my favorite 80s glam/hair metal bands cited them as an influence. Having watched the documentary, which thankfully includes original NYD songs, I am amazed at that I had never heard any of their music. It was painfully clear that so many bands today incorporate their sound.
The story within the story of New York Doll is that of Arthur “Killer” Kane, the original bassist. His story is an engaging and touching one. In his words, “I was demoted from a rock star to being a schlep on the bus”. After losing everything to alcohol and finding God through the Church of Latter Day Saints, he finally found peace while working inside the LDS center library in Los Angeles. He still held onto the dream of reuniting the Dolls, which happened one last time for him at the Meltdown Festival organized that year by Morrissey, one of their biggest fans. I agree with J that the final song of “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want” was extremely fitting.
I loved the two adorable LDS Center sisters, now in the later years of their lives, demurely joking about being Arthur’s groupies. One thing that struck me was Arthur’s enthusiasm of the hotel room in London. In a very endearing way, he describes so many things in the room that he felt made his apt back home look like a dump. All I kept thinking was how I could imagine exactly what the chairs feel like, what the drapes feel like, and what the room smells like. I highly recommend this one as being a fan is demonstrably not a prerequisite for enjoying it. -K

I found this quote on msn.com and had to share. Britney Spears is describing her desire to get back on stage…
I can't wait to do that again," Spears, 24, tells Harper's Bazaar in its August issue, on newsstands July 25. "But I really have to take my time and do it right and be safe. Actually ... not that safe. When you perform, you have to be dangerous."
Since Brit cannot wow us with cutting edge performances, I have an alternative suggestion. Check out the documentary New York Doll. Be sure to watch the extras like the interview with the director and Morissey. The documentary chronicles the rise, fall, and rise again of Arthur “Killer” Kane and his band, The New York Dolls. Wow, sometimes true stories seem more like a movie script than fiction. Using “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want” as the closing song of the film fit perfectly
I saw the New York Dolls perform last year in Baltimore. The only original members left were David Johanson and Sylvain Sylvain. I wish I would have seen this documentary before the performance because I probably would have appreciated it more. -J

No comments:

Post a Comment