Monday, July 24, 2006

Poker Face in Lansing

My brother S called me when I got into town a few weeks ago to invite me out to see our local favorites, Poker Face, in Lansing, Illinois. A good time was had by all, as you probably read in the K post “A Little Drinkie”. The band was trying out a new lineup. After several shots of tequila, my sister-in-law, M, was yelling to the new guitar player to “Zip It!” She didn’t care for his small talk between songs.

You know how sometimes you can be sober enough to tell you are being obnoxious from drinking but not sober enough to control yourself? That was me, when M, our favorite lead singer came over to chat and my sister-in-law took a cocktail and began writing several songs down for the band to play. I didn’t get a good look at the list, but I am sure they were country songs since that’s her fave. I told M that there was only one new dance tune the band needed to learn – “Train in Vain”, as I obnoxiously scrawled that on a napkin. I think M’s response was something like, “We have new guys in the band. If I tell them we’re gonna play The Clash they’re gonna freak out”.

Well Clash or no Clash, I’ll be happy to see Pokerface again next time I’m in town. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment