Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Muse's Black Holes and Revelations

One might think that I would be annoyed at the amount of vintage Queen I hear on this cd, but I can’t be. I pose the question to the gods: Is there anything truly original anymore anyway? The answer: No.

I can respect any band that is out and proud about their obvious influences. And no, M, that is not a comment on Coldplay or Keane (see Random Thoughts on a Friday Morning post below). I will forever be in trouble for that.

In my opinion, Muse has created a brilliantly bombastic fantasy piece. Beautiful melodies aside, a comb-through of the lyrics reveals a strong distaste for American culture, politics and corrupt leadership. It’s interesting because I’m so used to fantasy providing a bit of a veil for social commentary in the comics that I read, not so much in the music I listen to. Once I realized what this cd is really about, I developed a stronger appreciation for it (if that was even possible). I won't spend too much time commenting on the tracklist because politics has no place in this blog, but I decided to include a selection of lyrics from each to give you a taste of what I'm talking about and to "throw it out there". I strongly recommend this cd. -K

Take a Bow: …cast a spell/ On the country you run/…Now freedoms concealing itself/what we’ve become/ is contrary to what we want...
The crescendo of the music halfway through the song makes my little Bug vibrate. Happiness.

Starlight : Our hopes and expectations/ Black holes and revelations...
I wish I had written and composed this one. J and I went for a Starbucks the other day and blasted this on Olive. M likes to perform parts of this song in the office, haha.

Supermassive Black Hole: The first time M played this for me was the night of High Eyes. I was drunk and hated it. I couldn’t believe that Muse was writing that kind of crap. Now, I can’t get enough of it. When will I learn?

Map of the Problematique: /…Fear and Panic in the air...
Somewhere in any decent city, a gay bar will or is playing this song along with Interpol’s “Slow Hands”. I would love to be there when it does. (You and me, Lance Bass. You and me.)

Soldier’s Poem: Throw it all away/ Let’s lose ourselves/…It’s a shame we’re all dying...
When I’m alone I sing this song. And sometimes, when I forget that I’m not alone I sing this song.

Invincible: Follow through/Make your dreams come true/ don’t give up the fight/you’ll be alright/ Cos there’s no one like you/ in the universe...
Call to arms.

Assassin: Oppose and disagree/ destroy demonocracy...
“doodly noodly” guitar style, according to M. Music is painfully close to vintage Queen, but updated and still good. I almost suggested to J that her brother M (no relation to blog’s M) listen to this song since he is a Queen fan. We both agreed it was for the best that he doesn’t.

Exo-Politics: I am waiting patiently/ I’ll wait for a sign...
Last week, while J and I took her nephew D to the Pageant, I played this song and asked her if she did not hear “Like a Stone” by Audioslave. Anyway, this song references the Zetas, a folk lore race of aliens supposedly come to Earth to provide guidance. It's not them. Turns out it's just our leaders in disguise.

City of Delusion: Choose to hide from/All-Seeing Eye/…destroy city of delusion/break these walls down/I will avenge/and justify my reasons/with your blood...
Gee, I wonder if this is the All-Seeing Eye as in the freemason symbol on our dollar bill? The fictional enemy is talking here. The spirit of the chorus reminds me of the nationalistic music my Jordanian ex-bf used to play in his car in Huntsville.

Hoodoo: And I’ve had recurring nightmares/That I was loved for who I am/And missed the opportunity/ to be a better man...
The voice in this song is concerned about not standing up for what he believes in. The music is mysterious and oppressively tranquil.

Knights of Cydonia: This is a call for resistance. Cydonia is referring to the area on Mars that contained the notorious “Face of Mars”. The wild west music provides an interesting backdrop to an obvious reference to the god of war: Mars.

Glorious: Rose tinted view/And satellites that compromise the truth/…Faith, it drives me away/But it turns me on/like a Stranger’s love/It rockets through the universe/It fuels the curse/and leads me to be/glorious...
This is a bonus track on the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment