Thursday, June 29, 2006

J's Foo Restrospective


As K mentioned, I also experienced Foo Fighters at Big Spring Jam in September of 1997. Let me provide some background. NO ONE GOOD comes to Huntsville, Alabama except country acts. I understand that this is probably because Nashville is only two hours away, but that is exactly why OTHER people besides country performers should visit Huntsville. So what people end up doing to see concerts is to drive two hours north to Nashville, two hours south to Birmingham, or four hours east to Atlanta. In 1997, with a two year old daughter, there was no chance of me leaving the city limits to see a show. I had been playing The Color and the Shape pretty much nonstop in the car until my daughter asked me to “make that man stop yelling”. Big Spring Jam is the big music event in Huntsville, and the local acts are usually the best part. But, when the Foo took the stage that year, it was kind of like driving 100 miles an hour down the road and sticking your head out the window.

I have since seen them in the following places:
May 1998 – Nashville River Stages
June 2000 – Nashville with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and special guest Peter Frampton
May 2003 – Chicago
June 2003 – St. Louis
May 2005 – Baltimore
October 2005 – Champaign

I’ll probably write a little about the individual shows in later posts, because they all have a story, especially the nail-biter of a show at the HFStival in Baltimore. Of course, the Champaign show was especially great. Oh, and my only child is almost eleven and she still doesn’t like listening to that man scream :)
--J

No comments:

Post a Comment