Monday, June 26, 2006

Foo Fighters- K's Mini-Retrospective

The first time I saw the Foo Fighters was in 1997 in Huntsville, AL at Big Spring Jam. This is an outdoor concert festival. J and I were both there, but we didn’t know it. It was the first time that I remember seeing Dave Grohl come out from behind the drum set. I was completely impressed by his showmanship as was the entire crowd. Gradually, the Foo Fighters became a mainstay on WZYP and every sporting event thereafter.

The second time I saw the Foo Fighters was on October 4, 2005 in Champaigne, IL. J and I had gotten to the show early and chatted with a tattooed roadie that we ran into again during the Taylor Hawkins show at the Double Door.

The Kaiser Chiefs opened for the Foo Fighters that night. They were good performers, but didn’t hook me.

Some highlights of the show were DOA, the acoustic then rocking rendition of Everlong, and Dave’s stroll out into the audience very close to us. A fortunate jock kid got up onstage and jammed with the band.

Afterwards, J and I stood out by the buses for a few hours and met and hung out with the band. This was a monumental moment for J. She had never met the guys before and it didn’t matter how long it took, we were both going to meet them that night. They did not disappoint. I’ll let J give tell her own story of meeting Dave, who was hilarious and extremely charismatic. We have a picture of those two that has been referred to as the Runaway Bride Picture. That was also the first time we met Taylor Hawkins. I yelled his name at some point and he yelled back "COMING!". We hadn't even really met yet, but we were already bickering. TH is a very personable and warm soul. As a fan, I was smitten.

Peanut from the Kaiser Chiefs was hanging around and I couldn’t get over how he reminded me of Pete Doherty. It was an uncanny resemblance.

In August, we have tickets to see the Foo acoustic set in Chicago. I have seen pictures of the set online. I can't wait to experience this show live.

No comments:

Post a Comment