Tuesday, June 13, 2006

It's a Long, Long Road


It feels like I have been away from home forever. This weekend I drove five hours Friday night up to Louisville, Kentucky and then got up and drove five more to lovely Northwest Indiana to go to my nephews' graduation. I was also able to attend my nephew S's t-ball game. I think my brother S summed it up when he leaned over after observing the crowd and said to me, “You don’t realize how many rednecks live in the Township until you come down to the ballpark”. My nephew, D, had to point out one of the moms watching her kid play t-ball. The woman had a mustache with hair that curled down on her lip and extremely furry sideburns. D’s comment was, “Man, I wish that was my mom. Maybe I could grow a mustache myself then”. Nice. Needless to say, sarcasm is alive and well in our family.

It was a long drive for a weekend trip, but my ten year-old daughter was a trooper. Here is what I learned on the trip:

1. As catchy as it is, it IS possible to hear Shakira’s Hips Don’t Lie too many times.

2. The stretch of Interstate 65 going through Indianapolis, Indiana is called the Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds Highway.

3. Smartfood popcorn and Rockstar energy drink come together to form the world’s most perfect meal.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment