Wednesday, June 21, 2006

DeRogatis vs. Corgan


I had to share this anecdote from Jim DeRogatis’ Milk It! since it involves the Double Door. In the 90’s, Billy Corgan was pretty pissed off at DeRogatis for some less than stellar reviews. DeRogatis writes:

“In February 1995, the band (Smashing Pumpkins) booked several nights at Chicago’s intimate Double Door nightclub to road-test its new material before recording Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. I was indeed banned from these shows (along with all other Chicago journalists, unless they agreed not to review), but the Double Door’s stage is backed up against a large plate-glass window that borders Milwaukee Avenue, and I took a lawn chair, sat outside in the sub-zero chill, and heard better than if I’d been inside the hot, smoky club. I phoned in a report for the newspaper on deadline, and the notion that he could not control everything really got Herr Corgan mad”.

--J

No comments:

Post a Comment