Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Vanishing

A friend of mine once quoted a song lyric to me. It had something to do with knowing how one's night went by the state of the ashtray the morning after. This lyric is haunting me tonight because my night is already starting to show. August is turning out to be a helluva month. Having moved from proper Kleenexes to toilet paper, I felt it best to focus on the one thing that never leaves me- the ever-present morphing melody in my head. So here is my latest playlist aptly titled The Vanishing. -K

Silver Springs - Fleetwood Mac
I was just reading Jancee Dunn's But Enough About Me, wherein she talks about interviewing Stevie Nicks and the lyrical perfection in describing a lover's waning affections.
Don’t Walk Away - ELO (Xanadu soundtrack)
J gave me her copy of Xanadu before she left. Mock us if you will, but it has a stellar soundtrack.
Suspended In Time - Olivia Newton-John
Watch me add another Xanadu song to this playlist! Doing it!
I Won't Forget You - Poison
CC's guitar solo is what kills me in this song. I was never a huge Poison fan back in my hair band days, but this song has always been a favorite.
Think About You - Guns N Roses
Appetite for Destruction is 20 years old this month. That seems insane.
I Just Don't Think That I'll Get Over You - Colin Hay
I drink good coffee every morning / Comes from a place that's far away / And when I'm done I feel like talking / Without you here there is less to say
A beautiful song on the still impressive Garden State soundtrack. Who knew the lead singer of Men At Work had such depth!
Angie - The Rolling Stones
ain't it time we said goodbye A song that Mick wrote for David Bowie's soon to be ex-wife. Funny, that such a beautiful song was written for a woman who would later claim to have caught the two men in bed together.
Crazy - Patsy Cline
This song is such a classic that I don't really need to write anything. It's pretty self-explanatory why it ended up on my list.
One Last Time - HIM
Ah, my old romantic, broken-hearted standby, HIM. There were about 20 of their songs that could have made this playlist. But, this one is simple and to the point. Nothing really gothic here. Just a man, standing before his woman, asking for one last chance at making it work. Alternately, it could be a man, standing before his woman, asking for one last romp before the inevitable end comes. You can choose your own interpretation. I found a live performance of this on Myspace once and it may be better than the recorded version.
Like We Never Loved Before - Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
I have always loved Faith Hill. Anyone who listens to these lyrics and feels the ache will understand.
Baby Hold On - Dixie Chicks
J and I listened to this song once on the way to a Foo Fighters show in Chicago. I noticed that we both had glistening eyes during it, though I'm sure it was for different reasons. Though the context doesn't apply to our friendship, it always reminds me of her.
(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away - Andy Gibb
I remember my sister and her best friend P, who had a tiny little birth mark around her mouth, watching Andy on Solid Gold. We had one of those gigantic supercomputer-sized tvs that had no remote whatsoever. Back then, Saturday mornings meant American Bandstand and Saturday nights meant Solid Gold. Oh, how I dreamed of becoming a solid gold dancer: shimmying to my favorite hits, backing up my favorite artists as they awkwardly lip-synched through a song, and stretching out over those big cylindrical objects onstage.
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me - Dusty Springfield
Dusty's romantic bargain plea. Sometimes you'll take less than you deserve in the hopes of not losing someone you love entirely.
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Sigh. I just don't know what to say here. How often did we send the title of this song to each other due to the number of miles between us? Only my cell phone carrier knows.
Bell Bottom Blues - Derek and the Dominos
The harmonies in this song are killer. There is such desperation in the questions Do you want to see me crawl across the floor to you / do you want to hear me beg you to take me back? This leads to a beautiful harmonized chorus: I don’t want to fade away. / In your heart I long to stay.

I think this one will take some time getting used to.

...msu

No comments:

Post a Comment