Friday, August 17, 2007

Olde Towne Revival

Huntsville’s only brewery, Olde Towne Brewery, recently burned down. It was a blow to the beer loving government employees and southerners that inhabit this city. It was an especially sad situation for my dad since he and his friends had always been extremely loyal to the owner and his brew. Last night there was a benefit held at Crossroads for the Olde Towne and my father and I both went together. It was the first time I would go to a bar with my dad. I was kind of nervous.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Bird's eye view from the smoking lounge looking down onto the stage.

The first band, The Turner Family Band, lead by a vocalist/guitarist and the brother-in- law of my friend and coworker, M, moved through a selection of covers from Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, and others. The second local band, whose lead singer looked uncannily like my ex-boyfriend T, was called Johnny Black and the J-Birds. I am not sure how to describe what I was feeling when they came on, but it was almost a feeling of relief. On this kind of night I would have expected something more like The Blasters, which is great for some but snoozefest for me. So, when this four-member band came onstage and blew our faces off with quick-moving, melodic punk/rock/rockabilly original tunes, I was ecstatic. Check them out.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Here's Johnny. Usually not this bad of a photographer, but I was caught off guard and didn't come prepared with a good camera!

Though my dad and I didn’t stay for the rest of the bands scheduled to perform, I have to say that it has to be a success when after a couple of hours of loud music my dad put his arms around me, smiled and said he loved me. My friends/coworkers met and mingled with his friends/coworkers. For once, mixing worlds was not challenging. I actually had fun with my dad and it didn't involve Lord of the Rings! And to think I spent years as a teenager running away... -K

Learn about the Free the Hops movement.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the (what we thought to be) kind words in your blog concerning our performance at the Olde Towne Revival.....glad you could make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AGREE THEY WERE AWESOME.......
    Did you know thet Johnny Black and the J Birds will be playing at The Copper Top on May 10th and at the Benchwarmer on May 31st...... You should check them out....They also have a myspace Page were you can view upcoming shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AGREE THOSE GUYS ROCKED!!!!!!!!!
    Did you know that they will be playing at The Copper Top on May 10,2008 and at the Benchwarmer on May 31,2008.....You should bring your friends to the party this time!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete