Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This is What 48 Looks Like

I didn't wake up this morning thinking I was going to see Morrissey at the Pageant tonight, his bday, but that's exactly what I ended up doing. There is something so sexy about a crooner backed up by electric guitars, I told J as we waited in one of our family cars to exit the metro link parking lot behind the venue. I love it about HIM, The Killers, and of course, the man who in my opinion has set the precedence, Moz himself.

When Morrissey came onstage one of the first things he said was "this is what 48 looks like."

He may have gotten the most audience reaction when he sang Smiths songs, but there is something so magnetic about this man who at 48 still gets screams when he takes off his shirt, which he did a few times during the set. His stage presence is undeniable and his voice is still chocolatey and easy. He seemed to truly appreciate his fans tonight as he stated his pleasure at being back in "the Lou."

Speaking of the set, it included Panic, Everyday is Like Sunday, You Have Killed Me, How Soon is Now, and the song that made me embrace J as we sang along, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

As I stated, it was his bday tonight and there was a line of fans up front who wore bday hats. At some point there was a collective rendition of Happy Bday sung to the man who has made a lifelong career out of translating self-loathing into an aphrodisiac.

The audience was not what I expected. I expected more pompadours, more weepy boys, and crazy fans throwing themselves at the stage. Instead, it seemed that those fans had all grown up and were more conservative than they were in their halcyon days. It was a sold-out crowd and I was more than happy to be a part of it. Definitely an Unbelievable. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment