Sunday, May 20, 2007

One Convert at a Time - Kings of Leon at the Riviera


I find it harder to write about an unbelievable show than anything else, probably because what I would like to say is that it was amazing, and then retreat back into my head so I can re-live my favorite parts. D went with me last night. His only exposure to them was the occasional video and their MySpace page. As usual, when going to a show with someone unfamiliar with the headliner, I get nervous.

About the venue, I talked to probably a dozen people before going to this show who had all been to the Riv and I find it funny that no one mentioned how run down it was on the inside. I know there are lots of shows there and maybe people like the spontaneous feel of it seeming like a rock show just sprung up in an abandoned old theatre way past its glory days. It just made me miss The Pageant in St. Louis where KoL will play this Friday night.

The show was sold out and D and I were up front to the right. Three bands were on the bill, The Features, Snowden, and then Kings of Leon. Naturally, I would assume that the bands would increase in popularity as the night progressed but while The Features were excellent and got a lot of attention, most wanted Snowden off the stage. All D could say during this set was "Dead Meadow", which has now become our codename for painful opening bands (see Wolfmother concert in November for more details). I texted K during this set and her response was, "Keep your eyes on the prize".

Those who suffered through were rewarded. As you can see from the setlist, there was a good mix of all three albums. The crowd went wild and I think the energy hit a high point during Four Kicks. My faves were Charmer, McFearless, California Waiting, and King of the Rodeo. Friday night I was talking to my brother S's friend A and he mentioned that the sound at The Riv can sometimes be off. That was true last night and you can tell the band was a little frustrated but working through it. Sometimes the bass wasn't loud enough and then the drums at times would be turned up loud and then turned back down. Caleb said that Chicago was their favorite city in America which made the audience love them even more.

D left the show impressed and a fan. As I expected from seeing them before, all of the songs were more ferocious live. Get ready St. Louis. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment