Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day Eve


I couldn’t pass up the one day festival called Pointfest here in STL. The festivities began at 10:30 am Saturday but I didn’t arrive until around 5. I thought about going early to support the local bands performing and to hear some different music, but the chores of a responsible adult won out. Also, K is out of town so I was going it alone. As I was pulling into the parking lot of the amphitheatre, I saw a kid being held up by a security guard as the kid mega puked all over the place. Walking to the front gate I saw a guy goofing around with his buddy who was in a wheelchair, pushing him quickly, cutting quick turns to the left and right until both tires fell off of the wheels of the chair. To help his buddy get the tires back on, the guy in the chair got out of it and stood up. I began to wonder, is the show out here? I came to see Wolfmother mainly and The Killers secondly and I will talk about those in separate posts. What else did I see? Well, lots of half-naked people who shouldn’t be half-naked, lots of beer, and some bands I did not enjoy. I saw one of the guys from I think Bullet for My Valentine eagerly signing breasts and stomachs and some other poor sap from a band reluctantly sign some big sweaty guy’s back. Also, the guy sitting in front of me was wearing what I believe to be the ugliest shirt I have ever seen. Maybe it was partly my mood this week or just being alone at the festivities, but I desperately wanted to be entertained and Papa Roach just wouldn’t do. I also saw a local band called Lye that won a battle of the bands to be the opener on the main stage of the festival. All I can say is if they won, the other bands must have totally sucked. It was that brooding metal with no hooks, just dramatic stage attire. The lead singer had on a priests cassock and the bass player was wearing what I call Hot Topic pants. The lead singer kept the bottom half of his body stationary as he moved the top half of his body almost into a back bend. But even the onstage antics didn’t keep me interested. Having no one to talk to and a real chatterbox sitting behind me, I had to listen to her take on the world including the conspiracy that some call Kurt Cobain’s suicide. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus also played the main stage and all I can say is that they are so unnecessary. That has got to be one of the worst band names ever. Can you tell I’m not a big fan of the outdoor festival? –J

No comments:

Post a Comment