Sunday, May 27, 2007

It's Like We Won Something!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The first time J introduced me to KoL we were driving back from Chicago last year. My first impression was lukewarm. I remember thinking that Caleb Followill's voice was unique, but not something I could stand to listen to for an entire album. So, as J became a more avid follower over the last year I was not on board. KoL became to me what HIM was for her: the one band that symbolized our deviation from our usually singular musical course. The show that changed it all for J and caused her to want to follow these guys around the country was one that I didn't even attend. I couldn't understand the attraction, myself. What was so special about this band from TN? How could this little band with strong Christian roots from the South have forced its way into J's mindset, overshadowing even the Foo Fighters? Well, when I saw them for the first time last Friday night at The Pageant, I went into it not expecting to be converted. Rather, I was determined to go in with an open mind and support J as she had for me one year ago at the HIM show in the very same venue. The tix were a bday present from me to J and having been gone from her for three weeks, I was excited to be seeing a show that I knew would make her happy. J is my favorite woman in the whole wide world, and by god sometimes we have to take a hit for the team.

The whole week before I had thought about the best location for us to sit. We've gone to many shows at The Pageant and sat and stood in just about every location- save one. I wanted us to be as close to the stage as possible without actually being in the pit so when we made an early entrance through the Halo Bar we headed directly to the seats that are just left of the stage on the ground floor. I looked back at J who grinned the biggest grin and shouted "YES!" When we sat down she looked at me and said "It's like we won something!" They did end up being the best seats we ever had. I don't think I want to be anywhere else from now on.

The Features were definitely a highlight. A while back, I was supposed to see them open up for Fountains of Wayne in Nashville with my friends from HSV, G and C, but had to bow out at the last minute. I love their song Blow It Out, and was disappointed that they didn't play it Friday night. Regardless, they were far better than the other opening band Snowden, whose bassist was so overly theatrical onstage that it took me away from the music, which, honestly, was not that great. Not great enough to be giving us an O face throughout the set.

When the stage was being torn down for the KoL, J excused herself and said in parting "when Nacho comes out, everyone will scream his name." She wasn't kidding. Nacho is a cousin of the boys who is their main roadie. He looks just like them, but with a bit more of a young Ozzy aesthetic. He really looks like a miniature KoL member and he often acknowledged the fans screaming his name with enthusiasm. I heard behind me "quit saying his name, he needs to do his work!"

When the lights went down, white light and fog emanated from the stage and a section of Mozart's Requiem Mass filled the air. It was dramatic and added a bit of darkness that I didn't expect, but always welcome. That was the first entry point for me. I was certainly intrigued. When the boys came out they gave an electrifying set that left me exhausted in the end, but in a very good way. I didn't know all of the songs, obviously, but the highlight for me was On Call, which was ambient and face-blowing at the same time. The amazing thing is that Caleb's voice is so much better for my ears in a live setting. And seeing how he and his bassist brother kept grinning at each other because they were so pleased with the audience's reaction to them, I saw a humility that was so incredibly endearing. Also, Nathan's ease at drum playing just caught me off guard. He makes drumming look so easy, often drinking beer and mouthing to someone off stage while keeping time impeccably. I had to smile. These boys from TN wanted to be there playing for us and the crowd encouraged them to keep going. It was as if the crowd was in such need for a balls to the wall rock show as much as we were and I left a fan.

After the show, J and I hung out to see if they would come out. Here's another thing that turned me. They came out almost immediately. I HATE how some bands just make everyone wait for what can be hours to sign autographs and take pictures. Nathan came out a few minutes after J and I got out there trying our best to not get in trouble with security for not "being on the black." They were all very nice and humble and explained that they were on their way to a family reunion. But, the skinny jeans that they wore were slightly frightening. I don't think that Jon Bon Jovi's jeans were ever that tight in his day! It was quite something to see. Life on the road takes the pounds away, but the Followill clan has incredible genes. Skeletal they may be, but they have some of the best skin I've ever seen in the business. Golden and gorgeous.

Nathan took this pic with me and I had to crack up because our expressions are very similar in the original pic.

So, in the end it was an absolutely fantastic rock show. J and I had a great time, laughing hysterically at times, concluding that almost everything about the south is endearing to us, and being so pleased that we didn't have to scramble to get to work the next day. Unbelievable. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment