Thursday, November 30, 2006

And Now For Something Completely Different

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This post is one for the records. K is about to give HIM a tepid review.

While us HIM fans wait for the new album to materialize next year, Ville Valo has agreed to release a compilation cd called Uneasy Listening Vol. 1 that includes rare tracks, acoustic versions, and remixes of the poppier HIM hits prior to Dark Light. Uneasy Listening Vol. 2 will include the heavier tracks and will soon follow, I hear.

What works about this release? The acoustic versions of The Funeral of Hearts and Please Don’t Let It Go, both featuring a solo Ville on his acoustic, are rough diamonds set amongst a handful of rhinestones.

Tonight, with the winter storm of the year throwing copious amounts of ice over the entire St. Louis area, I decided to sit down and listen to each tune to try and figure out why the rest of the cd doesn’t really work for me. I boiled it down to four issues.

Issue 1: In Joy and Sorrow (String Version)
My friends know what this song means to me. I want it played at my wedding and my funeral and any time I get in the car. After playing the Deep Shadows and Highlights version and the UL V1 versions of In Joy and Sorrow back to back I figured what is missing: the rhythm section. Basically, the ULV1 version is the original with bass and drums omitted. You can’t remove the backbone and expect the same kind of impact.
Issue 2: Ville’s falsetto
It’s hard to imagine that when Ville formed HIM his original intention was to be the bassist rather than the lead singer. He’s a natural crooner and knows how to use his voice. When he doesn’t go nuts with it, his falsetto is hot. It just is. On UL V1, I just don’t know what he’s doing at the end of It's All Tears (Unplugged Radio Live) and Lose You Tonight (Thulsa Doom Extended Dub).
Issue 3: The Path (P.S. Version)
OK, this version meanders sleepily like a David Lynch movie. It’s got a slow, hazy, and lovely quality but in a very creepy way. Then, about 3 ½ minutes into it, it plugs in, strongly and suddenly. No matter how many times I listen to it I’m not prepared for it and it is jarring. Ville’s voice is fantastic, though. That’s the only thing that works for me on this version.
Issue 4: The rest of the story
The other tracks, i.e., The Sacrament, are incredibly similar but not great versions of the originals. They seem more like mixed versions that were later tweaked and perfected for the albums. Is that the point of this? I’m not really sure. All I know is that they don’t stand up to the songs I’ve come to love.

Why didn’t the beautiful acoustic version of The Sacrament make the cut?

This is one for the collector’s bin, but it’s just not the sonic perfection I’ve come to expect. For this compilation I give it the unofficial rating of Unmoving. You know I love you...-K

These acoustic performances can be found on youtube and are some of my favorites:
For You 1997! As my friend R would say, young Ville’s hair is long and luscious.
The Funeral of Hearts The German woman introducing Ville is in full goth regalia. It's quite something.
The Sacrament "Danke!" he says. This performance is a little whiny, but it works. Who am I kidding I love every second of it.
Endless Dark and Join Me. This was filmed at a secret gig for a several lucky fans. It’s one of my favorites to watch because he is so gracious and sweet with them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment