Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mick and Me


I am never alone in my house. Tonight is an exception, and much to my delight, I found myself spending the evening with Mick Jagger. A few years ago, my brother S. had mentioned a Mick Jagger documentary that chronicled Mick’s recording of Goddess in the Doorway, his last solo effort. About a week later, my friend M. mentioned the same documentary. How had I missed this? Years later, I find Being Mick: You Would if You Could, available on Netflix and it came in the mail today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially with no interruptions.

H. got me Goddess in the Doorway for Christmas when it was released. I believe I gave it at least two listens but not much more. As far as solo work, I think Keith wins that contest, not that there is one. However, after watching this, I may go back and give it another listen.

Now it could all be for the cameras, but Mick comes off as witty and quite a family man. My favorite scene takes place when Mick flies to Cologne, Germany so that Bono can record some vocals for a track. Bono, Mick, and the album’s producer are sitting there eating lunch and the producer asks Mick if he ever started that magazine that he talked about years ago. Mick says no, that it was going to be called The Trouser. He says that guitarists have a ton of magazines, as do drummers, etc. so this magazine was going to be for the lead singer since style is so important for a lead singer. It’s nice to see he has a sense of humor about himself. He was also very gracious even to autograph seekers who were obviously just getting the autograph to sell it.

If you are a fan of Mick, this is a must watch. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment