Monday, November 27, 2006

Wolfmother at Mississippi Nights - J's Take

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid". -Frank Zappa

I am sure Frank was discussing the creation of music, but it’s the same for those of us crave it live. I so get the "bills must be paid" part of this quote. That's how I was feeling this morning when I had to get up and get myself to work, but the weariness of a late night out was all worth it last night.

I bought tickets to the Wolfmother show months ago. After having to sit through the Panic! at the Disco show with daughter A. Saturday night, Wolfmother was the perfect remedy. K and I also had the great fortune of winning a radio contest which meant attending a press conference where we got to ask the band a question and attending a pre-show set by the band.

Four of us were picked for the contest and we got to each invite one friend. K brought her friend C and I brought my nephew D. The band came out, played Joker & the Thief, White Unicorn, and Woman just for the eight of us and the radio staff. It was an amazing experience. We were thinking that the set before the show might be an acoustic thing, so when they plugged in, we were so excited. The band was so friendly which made this experience all the better. Thanks to them for being so gracious.

Mississippi Nights is a great place to see a show. It's basically a bar so it's intimate with pretty good sound. We were lucky enough to stay in the venue after the press conference so we got our pick of seats for the crowd came in. D went straight to the front and we spotted a good location further back. D ran into some interesting folks at the front of the stage. The middle-aged man next to him was offering football tickets if D would bring down some “dirty” girls from Chicago. There was also a woman flashing the band right next to him. Whatever.

The opening band, Dead Meadow, oh my. It went on and on and on and on with no distinguishing characteristics. It was painful. I think that's my idea of what hell would be like. You're at a highly-anticipated show and all you see is a lingering opening band.

Wolfmother came out and made it all better. Shame on any band with more than three members that can't be that powerful. You say you need a Keyboard Player AND Bassist? No, you better be able to play both goddamnit, during one song! It was incredible and the crowd loved them. Everyone around us was singing along with every song. I usually want to stay far from the serious crowd at the front of the stage. I’m a mom so someone is depending on me at home. I can’t get a concussion at a concert. However, when the opening chords of Dimension began, I was tempted to bolt from my safe perch by the bar to get right up front. I fought the urge and that’s probably why I’m at work without a neck brace today.

The high points for me were Love Train, Dimension, and the encore which included Communication Breakdown. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment