Friday, November 3, 2006

Funk!

While K has been asking me what I think of My Chemical Romance’s new album, I have been preoccupied driving to and from work with a gem I recently picked up. Compilation CDs may be a bit passé in the time of iTunes playlists but I don’t care. It’s a Rhino records compilation CD called Millenium Funk Party. My daughter A. just doesn’t get the name and then I read the back of the CD case to her, which made her giggle. It says…

Dig---Why drop your bread on album after album to accentuate your party and clog up your 500-disc changer when all you gotta do is slip this bad boy in, slap “repeat”, and set the joint on fire? Easier than Minute Rice, funkier than gym class. Get down tonight.

There are a lot of good tunes on it, but my favorite is Marvin Gaye’s Got to Give It Up (Pt. 1). If the percussion in that song doesn’t make you want to dance, there may be something physically wrong with you.

P.S. I've gotten more phone calls and emails from out-of-towners who have read the recent report that St. Louis is the most dangerous city, instead of the World Series win. I talked to one person in my office who feels as though that report was media sabotage, released to purposely steal the thunder of the victory. I don't know about crime but conspiracy theory is alive and well in St. Louis. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment