Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Which is worse?


The scene of the crime was a suburban St. Louis middle school, Friday, September 15th, 2006. A., a sixth grader and novice to the ways of the school dance, attends her first. Streamers were hung in the gymnasium, and the substitute teacher/DJ begins to spin some tunes. What’s the next song on the playlist? “I Write Sins, Not Tragedies” by Panic! at the Disco, and before Brendan Urie can sing his second “Goddamned”, Principal M. as A. explains it, “shuts it down”. As they drive her home from the dance, A’s parents curiously ask what other songs were played throughout the night. The big hit was “SexyBack” by Justin Timberlake. So are we to believe that "Goddamned” is worse than "I'll let you whip me if I misbehave"? I am glad not to have to be the judge. Play them all. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment