Sunday, September 24, 2006

Muse at The Pageant - September 14, 2006

Judakris spent an evening with Muse on September 14, 2006. I love J's review of this show, but wanted to add my two cents!

The opening band was an all-girl group called The Like. It’s not that I think girls can’t rock or that they write shitty music. I think I would have to write off anyone who ever said that Joan Jett or Brody Dalle (The Distillers) don’t fucking rock. But, like The Strokes (who I saw back when they exploded in MS back in early 2002), opening band The Like consists of well-to-do kids that know how to write a few catchy tunes but leave much in regards to true substance or long-term engagement. One of them is the daughter of a former Geffen Records A&R man/record producer. Wow, what a surprise they are signed with Geffen records. As I watched them awkwardly dilly dally through their set, I didn’t see any signs that this was a genuine band that has suffered for its art. They probably don’t know what it’s like to not shower for three days, or barely be able to scrape together enough money to purchase one beer (though your management back home may be celebrating the fact that you have gone gold). There’s no hunger here, just some girls who thought this might be fun and wear some boho outfits (because they’re musical gypsies). So how exactly are you girls going to prove yourself to J and me? Oh, by skipping off the stage. Right.

As the stage was getting cleared for the headliners of the evening, I didn’t have any of the anxieties I sometimes have. For instance, I didn’t worry that I couldn’t see the stage completely. You don’t need to with Muse. Unlike AFI, whose music is overshadowed by the stage spectacle, Muse’s music is the most impressive part of the band. Onstage they practice a kind of performance pragmatism and subtlety and stay away from unnecessary hairdos or false eyelashes. I also didn’t worry that there would be technical mishaps. For some reason, I have complete faith that these guys are completely Type-A when it comes to preparation. I also didn’t feel as though there were any social walls within the audience. What I mean by this is, despite the fact that it was an extremely diverse crowd everyone seemed to be on a single musical course that night. That always makes the overall experience pretty enjoyable. I felt as if I could talk to Jock guy to my left, Comic-Con guy to my right and walk away feeling as though we were on the same page.

What struck me was the live projection of the band behind them on the backdrop. This gave you the feeling that you were in an arena and looking up at a jumbotron. From the light show that swirled around the entire venue covering each audience member to the fact that every single space in the place was filled with multi-layered sound, I felt more like a participant in this musical journey than a spectator.

These boys have been on tour for years, but the lead singer Matt is able to launch into a soaring falsetto with no vocal potholes whatsoever. He’s agile, too. He seamlessly moves from guitar to piano and back again- all the while singing his heart out. It’s extraordinary to observe.

Like J, I didn’t really think about Muse being categorized as prog rock although it’s completely logical. To me, though, Muse has always just been Muse, not part of any larger scheme or genre. They write dense, multi-layered, sophisticated material that can easily stay with you whether you want it to or not! However, because of its richness, I tend to only be able to consume a little at a time. What is true is that at the end of this performance I was left wanting more. Because of this I rate this show an Unbelievable. -K

Their setlist is posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment