Monday, September 4, 2006

Roadtrippin and Playlists

I know that Nick Hornby (masterfully) wrote an entire book about the art of the mixtape, the precursor to the playlist, so let’s just say that these are my rules for the judakris road trip playlist. Inevitably, we get in the car and we have some of the same songs on our lists.

Start out mellow

Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

Be sure to mix in known crowd pleasers with an occasional element of kitsch

I Will Follow – U2 / Love Plus One – Haircut 100

Pick songs or artists that may spur conversation

I’m Lonely (But I Ain’t that Lonely Yet) – The White Stripes

Vary tempo throughout

Love is a Stranger – Eurythmics / I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor – Arctic Monkeys

Don’t over-think it. Just alphabetize the list by song title and let God take responsibility.

P.S. This is my beef with the Paris Hilton track. If you’re loaded, why does your first single sound like it was created on a Casio keyboard? Does anyone else recognize the “reggae” beat button found on such devices? When I heard this song, it made me think of Andrea True Connection’s More More More. At least the story behind that single is way more interesting. K including this on her playlist certainly did spur conversation, as did my equally cheesy contribution, Terrence Trent D’arby’s Let’s Go Forward.

Here’s the last hour of my Chicago Playlist

She’s Crafty – Beastie Boys
Something – The Beatles
Starlight – Muse
Strange Condition – Pete Yorn
Suzie – Boy Kill Boy
Taper Jean Girl – Kings of Leon
Under My Thumb – The Rolling Stones
Vampire Heart – HIM
Walking After You – Foo Fighters
Waterloo – ABBA
Ways to be Wicked – Maria McKee & Lone Justice
Whiskey in the Jar – Thin Lizzy
Whole Lotta Love – Led Zeppelin
Yesterday Never Tomorrows – The Stills
Young Americans – David Bowie

--J

No comments:

Post a Comment