Monday, June 16, 2008

Webb Wilder


I have never been a big fan of the roots rock, no-frills Americana style that characterizes bands such as L.A.'s The Blasters. Had I not gone down to Huntsville's Humphrey's Saturday night I would ignorantly have grouped Webb Wilder into this genre. I would have also walked out before I finished my first beer had I not had respect for J's brother's taste in music who suggested I see this guy perform. In his words Webb Wilder is "a good example of how music should sound."

Humphrey's in downtown Huntsville is a place that used to be called Bubba's years ago. This is going to sound crass, but when I was in college and later a starving library clerk in grad school, my friends and I would go to Bubba's every weekend and get loaded. They had a great music. It was in walking distance from my $250/month 80-year old apartment so I never had to worry about getting home. Bubba's was a down-home watering hole. Something went down with the owner and it was soon replaced by Humphrey's, which is the same kind of place only upgraded. The back of the bar/restaurant opens up into a courtyard with a giant old tree in the middle that grows up into the sky. The courtyard is old-south style, with black wrought-iron latticework and brick. The side of the brick building (Mason's Pub) creates a backdrop for Humphrey's courtyard and is where the small stage is constructed for weekend performances. Saturday night was a sultry, moonlit southern night and the courtyard was buzzing with eager fans while fans blew cool mist over their heads and beer flowed freely.

A little after 9 the band ripped into a lengthy set that had the locals on their feet in no time. The collection of guitars played were an impressive part of the evening. Webb dominated the set with his Fender Telecaster and occasionally moved to his Stratocaster. The lead guitarist played a Fender Strat (old school colors from the 60s- looked like surf green or daphne blue color). He also played a natural Gibson Explorer (shark fin look) and a white Danelectro for his slide guitar. Webb wore his fedora hat and at one time bragged that his last album had sold "dozens." Ha!

The set included his original catalog, peppered with blues instrumentals and a cover of Jumpin Jack Flash. This may or may not make sense, but I observed a British influence in his material with a reliance on chord transition and melody rather than a percussive rhythm like that of most American roots-rock artists, i.e., Bo Diddley. It spoke to me more than The Blasters did, for sure. I give it an UNEXPECTED. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment