Sunday, June 22, 2008

Viva La Vida - Coldplay


I wouldn’t be surprised if Chris Martin, clever as he is, knew full well that by enlisting the sonic assistance of Brian Eno on their latest album Viva La Vida (or Death and All His Friends), that the already present comparisons to U2 would be now undeniable. But by working with Brian and not hiding it Coldplay takes control and throws it in your face. Yes, they are influenced by the sounds of U2. Yes, like U2 they even take themselves too seriously at times, but I dare anyone to hear the opening notes of their songs and think that it’s a U2 song and not Coldplay.

VLV is a wide-angle beautiful work of art. It doesn’t force itself on you, which is exactly why I keep listening to it. Eno’s own ambient music and his collaborations always allow for the listener to make a choice; to pay attention when one wants and not when the song dictates. I read one review that encapsulates the album for me perfectly. The writer felt that the band steps back into the scenery at times letting the music tell the story without words and then comes back into the spotlight to offer the occasional rock-out; all very Eno and all the while maintaining their identity as a band.

The album begins with a sweeping instrumental called “Life in Technicolour” that leads in a catchy little stomp-clap tune called “Lost!” that refuses to leave my head. “42” reminds a lot of the Rush of Blood to the Head era Coldplay. It’s got that lonely piano and Chris demonstrates his falsetto with the regretful tone he’s so well-known for and then halfway through rocks out. “Lovers in Japan” just makes me want to skip down the street. “Reign of Love” is a beautiful ambient piano-piece that reminds me a lot of that scene in Trainspotting when Renton dives down into the toilet to find the opiate suppositories (seriously). The Asian twangy sound of “Strawberry Swing” is incomparable to me, but it does have a pinch of David Bowie thrown in which is itself reason enough to give it a listen. “Death and All His Friends” is going to be stunning live. Towards the end there’s a second version of “Lost!” called “Lost?” that is the piano version that I think my friend M will put on repeat. There’s also an acoustic version of “Lovers in Japan” that just calms the soul.

Y’all, I have tried to find the negative in this cd and I can’t. I recommend everyone try it. Just note: if the temptation arises to compare this band to U2, try listening to Gang of 4 and The Clash and realize that U2 were once “inspired”, too. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment