Monday, June 16, 2008

Martha Wainwright- I Know You're Married But I Have Feelings Too


Years ago Rufus Wainwright’s song April Fools became part of my life soundtrack. I’ve never been able to take a lot of his sedate and draggy voice, but for some reason I’ve never been able to write this boy off. I will never say you shouldn't put some Rufus W on if we’re drinking wine. I have never cared who his family is, I just think he’s charming.

So, the other day I came across this his sister’s cd cover and thought “now that looks like one of many pictures I took back when after a series of questionable decisions at a party I would get myself to a point where I would be legs up on a couch with my good shoes on”. I was intrigued. I finally bought the album because of Rufus’ strange pull and because the title just cracks me up. You know what, this cd is really good.

Martha Wainwright goes from sounding like Ani DiFranco to Kate Bush to Annie Lennox to Maria McKee on this album. She does an ambitious yet fascinating cover of Eurythmic’s Love is a Stranger and Syd Barrett’s See Emily Play. My favorite is probably You Cheated Me because the chorus feels very Suede-like, but the whole album is download-worthy. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment