Sunday, October 1, 2006

Veruca Salt at Pop's - September 25, 2006


Judakris headed across the Mighty Missisip to see Veruca Salt Monday night at Pop’s. I haven’t listened to them in awhile but was a fan of Eight Arms to Hold You, and American Thighs. The ticket price was right—five bucks. K initially didn’t want to go but agreed to attend in the end. A couple of non-musical reasons also prompted us. Louise Post is from St. Louis and after the Living Things debacle, we were curious to see another hometown hero take the stage. Also, this is the chick that inspired Dave Grohl to write Everlong? Yes, I had to see her. It’s gonna be increasingly ironic that I’m going to check out a girl as this post continues…

So we walk into Pop’s after the first band, Bitch Slap Barbie, has performed. Almost immediately I’m getting a vibe in the club. Now Pop’s always reminds me of the bar in the Patrick Swayze classic, Road House (classic for how bad it is). When I walk in to Pop’s, I’m always expecting to see a bunch of rednecks with big hair and Dalton the bouncer keepin’ the peace. This of course never is the case, but I was especially taken off guard by the crowd on Monday. There were a lot of lesbian couples, A LOT. Of course there were a good number of straight guys standing around as well. As we were standing there listening to the second band, two attractive gals were heavy making out. K leaned over and said, “Don’t you know these straight guys are going ‘Hell yeah!’”. Hahaha It was unexpected.

Next up after Bitch Slap Barbie, The Strays took the stage. They were okay, but I did not see anything there that separated them from the pack. They were trying to be The Clash and their look, especially the hair, seemed very important. The third band, Agent Sparks, made us angry. One of the singers was female with this STUPID outfit on. It was one of those bands that you just know only white college kids would like because they’re “different”. Yuck! I could go on and on but I won’t. We had to just walk away after awhile because they were pissing us off.

As for Veruca Salt, they put on an awesome show. Louise was glad to be home with her mom and other friends and family in the audience. They played some songs off of their new album, IV, but also played all of the hits off of the early records. I know in the past I’ve been critical of the female performer but I walked away with nothing but respect for a woman who does it right. She is feminine but you also kinda get the impression that if she had a few, she’d probably kick your ass. I was curious how they would be without Nina Gordon, one of the other founding members, but they didn’t miss a beat. It was unexpected how much I enjoyed this show. --J

Here’s the setlist with some of my favorites highlighted:

So Weird
Don't Make Me Prove It
Centipede
Spiderman '79
Volcano Girls
Innocent
Shutterbug
Save You
Born Entertainer
Blissful Queen
Victrola
Closer
Straight
Sick As Your Secrets

Encore:
One Last Time
Seether
Hellraiser

No comments:

Post a Comment