Sunday, October 22, 2006

"I got a fever, and the only prescription..."

If I flip on the tv or the radio and it’s financial news, I immediately turn it off. Recently though some financial news got my attention and goddamnit, it is already lowering my quality of life. Google bought YouTube. What does this mean to you and me? Well, nothing if you regularly go to the site to watch videos of someone’s crazy cat. But if you are like me, and rely on this site to watch clips of your favorite musical acts, life is changing. You want to see [insert band name here] perform on [insert television show name here]? Just go to YouTube. But because of copyright infringement, content will change on YouTube and it’s already happening. For example, I was going to send K this video of Kings of Leon on a Japanese television show where they smoked and drank through the entire interview looking completely disinterested in the idea of doing press. It was pretty amusing. Gone! It is as if it never happened! Then just today, as I was formulating the idea for this post, I was going to find the link to one of the all-time best SNL skits and recommend you watch it now because it probably will not be there soon and… it’s already GONE! No longer can you, at a moment’s notice, watch the parody of VH1’s Behind the Music where Blue Oyster Cult was recording the song Don’t Fear the Reaper and Christopher Walken demanded “more cowbell”. Now you have to go buy the Best of Christopher Walken or Will Ferrell on SNL DVD to see it. An era that lasted only a mere eight months is now over. R.I.P. the true YouTube. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment