Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders - Chicago


Taylor Hawkins, drummer of Foo Fighters, put out a solo album in March which I quickly purchased. They announced a short tour at very intimate clubs so K and I had to go. The closest stop was the Double Door in Chicago on a Sunday in April. The Double Door feels like a neighborhood bar that just happens to have live acts almost every night of the week, so it’s a great place to see a show.

The first band was a local band called The Translation. They were pretty good. The guitar player looked hopelessly miscast though. He looked like someone who should have been in the audience of a Metallica show, not playing for a pop/rock band.

The next band was a Scottish band called Driveblind. We moved close to the stage for this set. They sounded great and the set was enjoyable. K and I think they will break big in the near future. They have an album coming out on a major label in August. During their set, a very attractive brunette in white jeans took to the dance floor to try out her best stripper moves. We had no idea that this evolve throughout the evening.

As the roadies prepared the stage for Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders, K and I spotted the roadie we had met and talked to at the Champaign Foo Fighters/Weezer show. The stage was set up a bit differently than most, with Taylor’s drum kit front and center, and the guitarists placed on both sides. K and I moved to be directly in front of Taylor’s bass drum, knowing we may never hear the same again. It was wild to be so close to him playing that when he dropped his drumstick, I was able to reach down and pick it up and try to hand it back (he had already grabbed a replacement). It was such an intimate setting and everyone at the show was loving it. The girl in the white jeans continued to make her presence known by yelling during every break, “Taylor, you’re so fucking hot!!!” It was kind of annoying.

Another annoying moment in the show was a guy named Joe in the audience who was yelling to Taylor, asking for an autograph while he was on stage, making a big deal about driving 5 hours to the show. Taylor ended up saying something like, “I’ll give you an autograph when I finish. It’s not like I’m gonna jump off stage and into a limo”. People like that give fans a bad name. I drove five hours too, but as I stood there in the audience, I knew that I was getting what I paid for. If we got anything else, it was serendipity. But Joe was going to be pushy until he got more.

The encore was “Hotel California” and everyone in the audience sang along. After the show, the musicians just hung out and the place cleared out pretty quickly. So while we waited for Taylor to come out, white jean girl put on a show giving the only lap dance I have ever seen with the guy standing instead of sitting down. Everyone still hanging out was in disbelief.

Taylor came out and signed stuff for everyone who wanted an autograph. I wasn’t nervous until I started talking to him. I told him that we had met him in Champaign and then we posed for a picture and I got out of the way. Looking back, I could have probably talked to him more but the nerves got the best of me. I’m my own worst enemy! -J

No comments:

Post a Comment