Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sure, Okay, Yeah - Yeah Yeah Yeahs in St. Louis

It was a dry winter and we were anxious to start out the concert season of 2006. We saw the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs in April at one of our favorite venues, The Pageant in St. Louis. K and I invited our friend, M to go as well. M didn’t know anything about their music but thought it would be fun. I told her they were about to release a new CD and let her borrow my copy of their first, Fever to Tell, to check it out. I must admit, I can’t listen to their first CD in its entirety without a break. Too much of the same thing! M called me a few weeks later to tell me she had gone to the YYYs website and was kind of scared. Scared?! K and I quickly investigated the website and got a good chuckle. The band’s heads are cut off and stuck on spikes. Okay, I get the reaction.

Karen O is a sight to behold. She’s a cross between Chrissie Hynde and the Mary Catherine Gallagher from Saturday Night Live. On the one hand, I give it to her for doing her own thing and not playing up her femininity, but on the other hand, yikes. I have never seen a band interact less with each other than they did on stage. I think I enjoyed the show more than K. I could have done without the opening act, Blood on the Wall, but hearing Maps live, and some of the new material was worth going. However, I didn't walk out saying Yeah Yeah Yeah! Instead a review of the show was more like Sure, Okay, Yeah.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you guys got to see the Yeah Yeah Yeah's! Maps! MP

    ReplyDelete