Tuesday, May 23, 2006

HIM, Goth Kids, and a French Fry

Here is where K and I become the yin and yang of our blog. I wanted to support my sister and I have an appreciation for her love of this band but I just can’t get on board. While I think Ville may have a good voice, I don’t like the synthesizers or the guitar parts in HIM’s music. I was hoping Ville would be so charismatic on stage I’d be pulled in. That didn’t happen. Instead I felt a little like he was phoning it in.

However this show supplied some of the best people watching ever. I don’t think I have seen so many pale-skinned goth kids before in one place. You got the feeling as you walked by them that if you stared at them, they would probably lash back with “What are you looking at?!” when actually, that is the kind of attention they crave!

Also in attendance were lots of straight, frat boy guys, who looked way out of place with the others in attendance. These are the guys who would beat up the goth kids if they all weren’t in the same place, loving the same band.

I CAN'T tell you what HIM played except for two of their recent singles and the “Wicked Game” cover. I CAN tell you that I heard one of the single most disgusting stories ever from the frat guy sitting behind us, and he was so taken with his tale that he had to tell it twice: once to his friends on the left, and once to his friends on the right. Me, I heard it both times! It went something like this: “Hey, I just burped and half of a french fry came up in my mouth whole. It wasn’t a dirty burp either, it was wicked. Look I just spit it out of my mouth down there on the floor”. I wanted to turn around and ask him to chew better next time. Ladies, he’s out there, and I am sure he’s single! Go find him.

Aiden, I must speak of Aiden. I think everyone should see this band. Why? Their performance is kind of like one of those “abridged” plays that have become so popular. You know, like “The Compleat Works of Shakespeare Unabridged” where three actors attempt to act out every one of Shakespeare’s plays in two hours, hitting all of the high points with big laughs. Aiden rolls up all the clichés of a genre of music popular today—fast and loud, guitars spun around bodies by their straps, makeup, lots of jumping onstage, a misfit message, screaming vocals, and let us not forget, the black paints worn by every member of the band that are skin tight to the ankle. It’s the new boy band of 2006. I fear for our youth!

I was so worried for K when the meet and great got cancelled but part of me was a bit relieved since I felt a bit like a poser. Here are all those screaming fans at a sold out show, and someone who likes them just a tad is meeting them. Nonetheless, it was a shitty thing for them to do. -J

No comments:

Post a Comment