Wednesday, May 31, 2006

"...and the delights of his chemical smile"


Brett Anderson is back with his new line-up, The Tears (http://www.thetears.org/). Bernard Butler is also part of this lineup. Their album is not available on iTunes (yet), but you can order this cd on Amazon.com. I will be ordering my copy this week.

What's a K post without a spoonful of nostalgia: Brett burst onto the European music scene with a band called Suede in the early 90s. In Germany in 1992/1993, Suede was the shit. For my friends and me in Mannheim, Suede's Nude provided the soundtrack to our lives. It was a timely album that was sexy, glammy, Britpoppy, and often inspired the Baudeliere in all of us. I will never forget the first time I heard a Suede song or saw a Suede video. It was winter 1993 and my parents were out of town. I was working on an art project in the dining room of our apartment and heard Suede's video for "Animal Nitrate" being introduced on MTV Europe. As soon as the first chorus hit my ears, I dropped what I was doing and sat in front of the tv. That weekend I went to WOM, the Tower Records of Germany, and bought Nude. It will always always be a stand out album in my collection.

In 1999, in a restaurant/bar in Huntsville, AL, called the Jazz Factory, I was introduced to a cool guy named M by a mutual friend. I had just interviewed at the same company as those two. A couple of martinis later, the conversation turned to Suede. Suede was liked by some of my friends there, but he was the first American that I knew of who loved and followed this band as much as I did. Just last night we discussed how Suede began it for us. Here's to our friendship, M, and here's to Brett carrying on the dream of eternal youth.

In an attempt to be less wordy than usual, their follow-up cds are fantastic and I recommend a listening. Note: some of them are under the name The London Suede because there was already a band called Suede in America at the time.

Animal Nitrate:


http://uk.sonymusic.co.uk/suede/home/

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment