Monday, April 7, 2008

Pretty.Odd - Unmoving?

When I got back to St. Louis I had to ask my daughter A if she had purchased the latest Panic at the Disco record. It was her favorite band (note the word ‘was’). I brought her back the one Australian music magazine I could find with them on the cover. She told me she had bought Pretty.Odd but hadn’t listened to it all the way through. This is not a good sign since she has had it for about a week.

She quickly read the article in the magazine and told me, “Did you know they like dropped the exclamation point? It like wasn’t like a conscious decision according to that article. They didn’t like sit down and decide”. Actually she might have used ‘like’ one more time.

So on my way to and from work I have been listening to it and unlike Maxim, I’ve given it two thorough listens and I haven’t read any of the reviews. In my opinion, this record is their tribute to the Beatles. As I said to K, there are worse things a young band could do instead of move into a Beatles phase. Besides the single Nine in the Afternoon, nothing sounds terribly radio friendly. The one good thing about their Beatles phase is they have expanded vocals to both Brendan and Ryan. Ryan Ross’ voice is the polar opposite of Brendan Urie. While Brendan is almost Broadway polished, Ryan’s sounds a bit unconfident and natural. It is a nice change of pace. It’s very orchestral and some of the lyrics are trying too hard.

I was very glad when A announced that she has been listening to My Chemical Romance’ s Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. That means that my two thorough listens may be the end of the PATD rotation. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment