Sunday, April 27, 2008

Not That One! Syndrome

The other day I was in a store and heard Naked Eyes’ Always Something There to Remind Me overhead. It’s an okay cover of a Burt Bacharach song but it made me wonder why some songs get picked to be part of the perpetual playlist on the radio. For example the song Rock Steady by The Whispers can still be heard regularly on U.S. radio, but when it comes on, I have never heard anyone proclaim “Oh, I LOVE this song!” Yet, it’s just always there.

The Naked Eyes version of Always Something There To Remind Me can often be heard on radio too. What I find frustrating about this is if they are going to play a Naked Eyes song on the radio (they only had three singles that did anything) why is it always this one? I always liked their song Promises, Promises. It has that jangly Nile Rodgers guitar sound in it. You can’t even download Promises, Promises anywhere. It’s as if it never existed.

But it did, and it had one of those artsy Brit 80’s music videos to go along with it (the swimming pool that really isn’t a swimming pool). Enjoy! --J

1 comment: