Monday, December 24, 2007

Here We Go 'A Waffling. Wait... That Can't Be Right.


You know, only in America would you find a guy who decides to protest the loss of spirituality in Christmas by crucifying a Santa Claus on his front lawn. My god, what are we doing that we don't think up shit like that, J?

Anyway, we're having a brown Christmas here in the south due to the drought. It's becoming an "oh shit" period of time down here, but we'll survive. I thought I would post a little something before I head over to my parents and open up presents. My mom's German customs have always become standard in the house, so we open presents on Christmas Eve, the stockings are for show only, we and just spend Christmas Day watching movies, crackling tree fir, and eating ham. Our pagan-like customs promise to be no different this year, weather notwithstanding.

Rather than doing a hitlist with some of my favorite songs, I thought I would discuss some Christmasy things I've been thinking about today.

Firstly, a few years ago My Chemical Romance did an adorable cover of All I Want for Christmas is You. You can find it here.

Nikki Sixx's new band Sixx:A.M. has a song called Xmas in Hell. Check out this stanza:

I've started a new diary and this time I have a few new reasons.
One, I have no friends left.
Two, so I can read back and remember what I did the day before.
And three, so if I die, at least I leave a nice little suicide note of my life.

My friend C sent me this video because a long time ago one of the first things we ever talked about was the strange union of these two. We then jumped into a rendition of it, complete with the "peace on earth…" bit. We still think we're hilarious.



There was an article I was reading that referenced the history of wassailing. This just cracks me up.

"In the 17th century, Puritans, who had long seen the holiday as a Catholic manifestation, concluded that attempts to tame or "Christianize" Christmas had failed. They managed to get Christmas banned for several years in England and Massachusetts, which was then an English colony.
The holiday returned in the 1660s, picking up a tradition of "wassailing," which in New England involved drunken bands of men banging on the doors of the rich, demanding entry and singing songs in return for food and alcohol.
"It was a rough version of caroling," Nissenbaum says. "It made for a lot of tense interaction."

That's all I had for now. Happy Holidays, y'all! -K

No comments:

Post a Comment