Sunday, December 9, 2007

Duran Duran

I was at a cocktail party this week and met someone who plays in a gypsy band. I started asking him what the music was like and in the course of my questions I mentioned having seen Gogol Bordello perform on a music show recently. He latched onto this statement and started going on about how great they were live. I admitted I had quickly dismissed them when I saw them perform with Madonna since she is a vampire, latching on to whatever new trend she can find to try and make herself relevant. My work colleague standing near overheard this, laughed and said, “Hold on, she’s my age”. And my response back was, “Yes, but you’re not trying to be a pop star”. What does this have to do with Duran Duran? Probably less than just demonstrating my pessimistic mood these days, but I was going to circle it back around to Duran Duran working with Timbaland and Justin Timberlake for their new album, Red Carpet Massacre.

When I was thirteen I was desperate to go and see Duran Duran in concert. Their non-threatening, sexually ambiguous good looks had won my adolescent heart even with probably the silliest lyrics in history. This probably is why I now take issue with keyboards. One too many a night I watched Friday Night Videos just to get a glimpse of Nick Rhodes pouting like a supermodel behind stacks of them. God help me. When my best friend and I began plotting that my oldest brother would take us to Chicago to see them, his answer was simple, “J-, I wouldn’t take you to see them if they were playing across the street.” In the end, three days before the concert, prompted by his new girlfriend, he took us.

Because of this past infatuation, I am always interested in hearing what they are up to. I was disappointed to hear that they were trying to be trendy. I watched their latest video and was not into it at all. I grabbed a newspaper on my flight back to London this week and there was a review in The Daily Telegraph of a recent Duran Duran concert. Helen Brown states, “While the Spice Girls whip through the campy costume changes and Take That offer up punishing dance routines with a twinkle of self-deprecation, Duran Duran fans must be satisfied with a couple of videos of a naked woman swimming underwater and a 49-year old Le Bon punching the air like a dad winning a pub quiz”. Not good. While memories of their makeup’d faces will always have a special place in my heart, I wish they could remain a bit of 80’s nostalgia. --J

1 comment:

  1. Ditto for Van Halen's reunion tour, clips of which are on YouTube. Diamond Dave without the high jumps and assless chaps just ain't the same. Some bands should take a tip from the Beatles and stay stuck in the decade that spawned them. Reunion tours are almost always a letdown.

    ReplyDelete