Sunday, November 18, 2007

Serj Tankian at the O2 Arena - Unnecessary


Okay, I’ve never been a huge fan of System of a Down but I don’t hate them. They have had a few interesting singles but as far as I am concerned, a little goes a long way. Serj Tankian, their lead singer was the supporting act for the Foo Fighters last night at the O2 Arena. He has a solo record out and it was bizarre. My housemate N went with me to the show and he had never heard of System of a Down. I said to him that this should be interesting because Serj had an operatic strange singing style for traditional rock music and that he was very political. N asked me, are they an American band? I said yes, but that they had strong family ties to another country, I was thinking Serbia but after doing some research this morning, realized that they were of Armenian descent. After a few songs, N leaned over and said, are you sure he’s American? We both laughed. N said the set reminded him of the Eurovision song-writing contest that takes place every year. The music had a Balkan feel to it. Because Serj came out in a top hat and coat, when he was dancing, I thought I was at a wedding reception. At times N and I were laughing out loud. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment