Sunday, November 4, 2007

Clapton: The Autobiography - J's Review


Just as K was buying the new EC autobiography, I had just finished reading the final excerpt that had been published for three straight weekends in the London Times. As soon as I could get my hands on it, I would. The things that struck me about the book were:

1. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and the Dominoes is by far my favourite EC work. I often listen to that record from start to finish. I would think that if you wrote such heartbreaking lyrics for someone that you were in love with, if you were then with them, that would be it. Happiness. Not so. Ladies, it’s another example of the grand gesture being very misleading. I really felt for Pattie Boyd.
2. He is a man who needs man time and maybe this is a result of his maternal abandonment issues. But now he now has four daughters. That may be an example of a divine plan.
3. As an artist, he does not seem as driven to create something original as much as he wants to honor a tradition that already exists.
4. Every once in awhile when I read something a little detail in the book that shouldn’t be a big deal starts obsessing me. Towards the end of the book he buys a boat and has to borrow money to do it, which is a first for him. Now he had a world tour coming up so I’m sure there is no loan now, but I started wondering, is he going to be okay financially?
5. He freely admits not giving his all during live performances a number of times, mostly due to his addictions. I know the same could be said for a number of artists, but that always makes me uncomfortable.
I agree with K, you don’t have to be a fan to enjoy the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment