Sunday, November 18, 2007

All the Guys in the Audience Want to Be Him, and All The Girls Want To…


I don’t think that there is anything left for me to see at a Foo Fighters show. This was the biggest and most impressive, with the craziest audience.

The stage looked kind of spare compared to their last tour, but there was a long walkway that led to a round covered smaller stage in the middle of the floor of the arena. Mid-way through the show, the cover came off of the smaller stage and the band moved there for a set of about five acoustic songs. They were joined on that stage by some of the musicians that played on the acoustic tour including Pat Smear. Every effort was made to acknowledge and play to everyone in the audience, including the people in the nosebleed sections, and the crowd went wild.

They played for two and a half hours, which led me to wonder if Taylor Hawkins is human. He is absolutely amazing! While the crowd loves Dave (girls were wearing Mrs Dave Grohl shirts next to me) I thought it was Taylor’s night.

The setlist covered all of the highlights, including a lot of stuff from the first record. The most amazing part of the night was when Dave mentioned they wanted to do something special since they were in London and just then two people starting to walk out to the stage. When I saw the silhouette I knew who it was instantly. Brian May and Roger Taylor from Queen joined them and they performed 39 from A Night at the Opera. Not only did we get to see these two legendary performers, but we got to witness Dave and Taylor gushing all over them, they are such huge fans.

As I left the arena, I realized it has been ten years since I saw them perform in Huntsville, Alabama at Big Spring Jam in front of a crowd that might have been as big as one section of seats in the huge O2 Arena. Seeing them at the height of their fame last night in a country that adores them was a nice note to end on. As they say in the UK, well done!

At the end of the night, Dave said to the audience, "I wish I could make out with each and every one of ya". Okay, so maybe there IS something left to see. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment