Saturday, August 12, 2006

Saturday Evening Thoughts


This morning as I was driving through my neighborhood, one of my neighbors was standing over his lawnmower looking a tad bit hung over. As I passed I noticed the back of his shirt read in large bold letters: 100% PURE WHOOP ASS.

You read it here first! Judakris predicted that Gnarls Barkley’s Crazy would be the song of summer 2006. This was confirmed by the fact that not one, not two, but three other musical acts covered the song at Lollapalooza. We were really impressed with The Raconteurs’ version. They also covered Bang Bang (My Lover Shot Me Down) which was awesome. I love now that Jack White lives in Nashville he has a Southern accent. Last year when he was promoting Get Behind Me Satan, he sounded like Katherine Hepburn or Cary Grant with one of those weird Continental accents that you just can’t quite place. Jack, if you're reading, I kid because I love! I’m hoping The Raconteurs will head to STL for a show sometime in the future.

Is anyone watching RockStar: Supernova? It’s like a car crash. I find myself watching every week just to see how ridiculous the performances will be and how often Tommy Lee will tell someone they’re “dope”. The part that amazes me the most is from watching the show I have gathered that the performers have a lot of control over the arrangement of the song they are singing. They have very capable musicians backing them every week, but things sound like crap. Do they mean to make everything sound like muzak? Is it in hopes of pulling in American Idol viewing numbers? Okay, and do we honestly think these guys will pick a woman to front their band? It’s not that I think they are sexist, I just don’t think it would work in this case. The only one that has a chance is Dilana and I really can’t stand her voice. I could go on and on dissecting the performances from this week which ranged from boring to silly but I won’t. Sorry to be so acidic, but it’s been one of those weeks at work where you want to come home and crawl into a fetal position. Maybe I just need to focus my energies towards being 100% PURE WHOOP ASS. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment