Wednesday, August 23, 2006

25 Greatest Live Bands Now

It’s Monday at 8:00am and I am standing at a newsstand in the Memphis airport jonesing for some music magazines when I reach for the new SPIN. Johnny Knoxville is on the cover, but what catches my eye is the top headline: “The 25 Greatest Live Bands Now”. I must buy this. I’ll only comment on the bands on the list I’ve seen…

Number 21 – Against Me!
A good live performance, okay, they’re low on the list, so I’ll accept that.

Number 14 – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I’m a little surprised by this. See our review of their St. Louis show for more background.

Number 13 – My Chemical Romance
Okay, I’m with you having seen them twice last year. They are solid performers and know their audience.

Number 11 – Queens of the Stone Age
Yeah, they put on a good show.

Number 9 - Prince
Only number nine? Is there a guitarist out there that makes playing look so effortless? Now, I’m starting to question you, SPIN.

Number 4 – Red Hot Chili Peppers
When you say “Greatest Live Bands Now”, I’m assuming you mean if I went to see them on their current tour. I could see the Chili Peppers being up there about fifteen years ago for the unexpected factor, but I don’t know if I agree about today. I would go to see John Frusciante, but I don’t think he alone can rank a number four. Maybe I’m just bitter that St. Louis is nowhere on their tour schedule this year!

Number 1 – U2
What?! Yeah they’re good, but Jim DeRogatis didn’t use the phrase “impassioned windbaggery” to describe some of Bono’s onstage commentary for nothin. They should be on the list but I question them being number one. Is this like figure skating where they give the gold to the “seasoned performer”?

But SPIN, as I sit at the gate waiting for my flight, if I didn’t think I would be branded a security risk, I probably would have screamed. What were you thinking with no Foo Fighters on the list? They’re so good live that most of the audience needs a cigarette afterwards. Even when I’m not feeling all the songs on their latest release, I can always depend on a stellar live show.

I’ll have to console myself at their concert in Chicago this Friday night, cigarettes in hand. --J

1 comment:

  1. SPIN naming U2 as number 1 reminds me of that time in the late '80s when Rolling Stone listed the Greatest Singles Of All Time ("All-Time" meaning post-1962, which excluded much of what I'd call the Golden Age of Singles), a list so decrepit (and so album-rock-oriented; can anyone justify Crosby, Stills & Nash showing up on a great singles list?) that SPIN was obliged to publish their version, which gave the top spot to "It Takes Two" by Rob Base & D.J. E-Z Rock, a great choice designed to pull the rug out from under RS's attempt to establish The Canon. Some upstart mag needs to do the same to SPIN.

    ReplyDelete