Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ghostfinger at The Creepy Crawl

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingJ and I have a HUGE appreciation for a smart ass and can spot one immediately. This is probably why as soon as lead singer Richie Kirkpatrick of Ghostfinger walked onstage with his handlebar moustache and headband we knew we were in for some fun. At some point before the first song, he announced they were from outside of Nashville. J's response was “WOO HOO!” clap-clap-clap. Mind you, I was in another part of the bar at that time and could hear her. Haha.

Like I said, we knew we were in for some fun, but we were surprised to be hit by a virtuosic sampling of all the familiar riffs we knew and loved from southern rock and classic rock layered with lyrics that were peppered with winks more than any kind of sincerity. It was absurd, yet the most refreshing absurdity. In fact, I read a review online that describes the apparent mission of the band perfectly: “dedicated to fulfilling their apparent mission to make the familiar seem absurd and the absurd seem familiar.” (Ezra Weller, Cincinnatti Citybeat).

After their set, we enjoyed chatting it up with both Van and Richie (their third member was not there that night). We gave them the address to our blog and explained that we were intending to write about their performance as being the night’s blessing. As a thank you, Richie handed us their cd, aptly titled, “These Colors Run”. I would later regret my chattiness with Van, although he didn’t outwardly seem to mind. I just couldn’t believe that I was talking to another human being, who, while “Welcome to the Jungle” was blaring through the speakers in the bar, agreed with me on two counts: 1. that there is not one bad song on Appetite and 2. Rocket Queen is the best song on the cd. Van is in another group called Black Diamond Heavies.

I have devoured this cd. I love it. In fact, my neighbor is probably sick of me playing it. Well, I’m sick of hearing his loud lovemaking through the vent over my damn stove when I’m trying to make breakfast. I'm sorry, but unless I'm the target, I shouldn't know what you sound like when you're charging the mound.

Just the other day, J said to me that she couldn’t get one of the songs out of her head. I responded “I am a man havin a baby”. She said, “EXACTLY”.

My favorite tracks include:

Hello Movies
Devil
Lady
Pretending to Die
Moon

From the band's website: Sounds like: hall and oates, peter cetera, blind guardian, neil diamond, and elton john eaten by pavement, the rolling stones, neil young, and the wu-tang clan and then vomited onto lynyrd skynyrd and led zeppelin. in outer space.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment