Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Singer

If you’re a Morrissey fan and you can watch it in your region you may want to go youtube and search for Zane Lowe Morrissey Interview which ran on MTV last month. An aspect of the interview has been on my mind since I watched it. He was asked about his band writing music and why he doesn’t. Here are some of the quotes:

“I don’t want to be a musician. I was only ever interested in the singing voice. I think something extraordinary happens to people when they sing.”

He talks about at an early age being obsessed with any singer who stood there without an instrument and just their voice and explains that not all great singers have great voices. His top two great singers – Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley and what makes them great is that they are timeless.

“There’s a very strong sexual component in singing and most people don’t talk about it of course but there is something very sexual about the singing voice and it draws you in and it doesn’t mean you necessarily want to be physical with the person but the person’s pulling at your very being.”

I’ve always been a fan of the multi-tasker because I think there are a lot of singers that can’t pull off what Morrissey is describing, but when it’s done right, it’s amazing. If you want to see it done wrong, well, American Idol provides lots of examples each week. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment