Monday, April 13, 2009

Love is a Musical Battlefield

So, G and I settled into a nice long Saturday evening of watching the channel Palladium. There were a number of musical programs playing that night, including the movie Coachella. It was the first time G had been exposed to Fischerspooner, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, and Amy Winehouse (from another concert). He commented on how there was a musical side to me that he was just discovering; that as much as I was talking about these artists he realized how little exposure he's had to anything outside of what Northern Alabama allows you to hear. He started to tell me about seeing a Hasidic Jew rap/reggae his way around the stage opening for 311 a couple of years ago. He said that for a few moments he actually thought the name of the artist was Modest Yahoo. Then he shook it off and realized that had to be wrong. At first I sat in stunned silence until the laughter began to boil to the surface like a volcano erupting. Even he found this blunder hilarious. Of course, he's known for some time now that it's actually "Matisyahu", but I still like to bring it up because it makes me laugh. However, you don't really make fun of someone when he is a walking musical/lyrical wikipedia with a photographic memory without expecting some retaliation. When he does retaliate he launches into my version of the lyrics to Tush from ZZ Top: "I said lord take me downtown, I'm just looking for some touch."-K

No comments:

Post a Comment