Friday, September 12, 2008

2008 VMAs - Heaven Help Us

Debby Downer alert!

I just watched the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards and just want to put a couple things out there. Britney “dead eyes” Spears owned the night and gave the same acceptance speech for each award. Really there’s nothing more to say about that.

Secondly, the whole “nothing is as it seems” didn’t translate at all from my perspective. The performances seemed small and minor. The VMAs didn’t have that pomp and circumstance that it used to. The producers tried to give the illusion that it was big or something, but it failed. Simply put, I found it boring as hell.

Thirdly, why- OH WHY are we celebrating The Jonas Virgins, I mean Brothers? WHAT IS HAPPENING TO US?

Finally, poor Brit Russell Brand didn’t translate in America. His rather funny and harmless comment about the Jonas’ Brothers vow of chastity, symbolized by rings, unleashed the fury of fellow virgin Jordin Sparks who stood defiantly onstage with the shoulders of a linebacker and defended the promise of abstinence. Standing next to John Legend, who looked like Mike Meyers did when Kanye West declared that George Bush doesn’t care about black people on live television, she stated “I just have one thing to say about promise rings. It's not bad to wear a promise ring, because not everybody, guy or a girl, wants to be a slut.” Am I wrong to say that I find it hard to believe one of them is a virgin after dating Miley Cyrus? I’m just saying. We ALL saw the multiple pics of her being a regular teenager...in the shower. Anyway, as J put it, Sparks is in her fourteenth minute of fame so who gives a shit what she says. But, I think Russell put it well when he countered with “a little sex never hurt anybody.” Ha! Russell, you may want to stay on your shores. We’re all drowning in our own hypocrisy and recession in this great country.

The pomp and circumstance of past VMAs were noticeably absent, we imported a host, we celebrated mediocre virgins and then saw Britney own the night--it's clear these are signs that we are in dire straits in this country. Finland, take me away.

Check out this hilarious bit from Popcrunch.com. It's like this chick is reading my mind 0:-)



-K

1 comment:

  1. We had to wait an extra day to view the VMAs here. I found them less offensive since the usual pomp and circumstance annoys me because the performances usually suck and don't live up to the expectation. Here are my thoughts:

    1. Liked the little side performances by people like Lupe Fiasco and The Ting Tings.

    2. It was a proud parent moment when the 13 year old watching it with me made a face when Mylie came on and sat dumbfounded at the screaming Jonas Brothers fans.

    3. I'm not a Russell Brand fan and in the end of I was feeling sorry that he was being put through this experience.

    4. What's with the America's Next Top Model reject Kim with long extensions participating in some flirtiness with Russell and others? She was the controversial lesbian! If she's experimenting that's one thing but instead it felt like she had sold her soul for an additional 15 minutes of fame and the stipulation was that she act straight. Sad.--J

    ReplyDelete