Sunday, March 2, 2008

What a Weekend


It's been a busy weekend. I just bought an iMac and transferred my iTunes library over from my PC to my gorgeous new thing.
I watched Once and La Vie en Rose on my 20 inch widescreen monitor (it’s a sexy beast). I became obsessed with the Once soundtrack before I saw the movie and now I understand its context. Falling Slowly--there is something about the line "take this sinking boat, and point it home/ we've still got time" that is so reassuring. How rare is it that art reassures these days? It reminds me of a story I heard once in which John Lennon mentions that when he went to see Yoko Ono's art show for the first time he had to climb a ladder and use a suspended magnifying glass to read a word that was written on the ceiling. The word was "yes". He said that if it had been negative he would have walked out, but that since it was positive he was engaged immediately. I felt the same when I first heard the song. In the same way, I was so pleased that the movie didn't paint life very rosy, yet still left me feeling optimistic. The unexpected humor was a welcome surprise, as well.
La Vie en Rose was amazing. Cotillard deserved the Oscar because she became Piaf in this movie at so many different phases and ages- incredible. I don't know how to describe the music, other than it is so "French". Just beautiful. When I watched this movie I was transported back to early 20th Century France and NYC and didn't come out until it was over.
So, then I went out last night to see a local 80s cover band called Black Eyed Susan with a couple of girlfriends. I used to go see them every other Friday night at a place called Bubba’s (now Humphrey’s). Their setlist hasn’t changed, but it’s obvious to me now that sometimes I just need a little Unskinny Bop to beat the blues. So, I’ve relocated my precious digital music to its new home, heard some raw, Irish emotional music, music that is as French as you can get, and fantastic hair metal...been a good weekend. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment