Friday, January 18, 2008

Riding the Storm Out

Written a couple of nights ago...

I was flying to Baton Rouge tonight, but after sitting in the plane for two hours waiting for our plane to be de-iced we were told to deplane; that it would be approx. 45 minutes before we could get back on the plane and to stay close to the gate. After getting off the plane and within minutes being told that my flight was cancelled due to weather I realized that many flights were facing the same fate. So, tonight, I'm spending the night in the Atlanta airport with hundreds of weary travelers and we are all freezing in this god forsaken place. I spent way too many Friday nights in this very place hoping to get home when I was a trainer. The weather down here is so unpredictable. Who the hell knew Atlanta would have snow? Today of all days? It would be nice if the overnight custodial crew out of consideration would not discuss their lives in such loud voices or the riding floor polisher not go back and forth THAT much tonight. It's 3:00 AM, and I've been here for 5 hours now. I have four more to go and if it wasn't for my friend T, I would be sitting here slowly going insane with nothing but CNN International, the open and honest custodial crew, the cold atmosphere, and my annoyingly reflective thoughts.

Anyway, T is heading to Europe soon and he and I discuss what he should expect as a first time traveler across the ocean. He also texts me that he has been going through a big Bjork phase, which made me giggle only because I remember M mimicking her in a loving way by half singing in a high-pitched, faux accent "Eye-m Icelandic, I mek complica-tid noizes." The only Bjork song I can recall is Violently Happy. I don't even know how I know this song, but it's on my iPod and go to play it except that I hit a roadblock. The roadblock happens to be a Nicole Scherzinger song called Baby Love. Yeah, I'd rather listen to this one. Bjork is one of those artists, like Cat Power, who in a moment of creative openness I download and then listen to maybe once. Often, instead of playing it I will some kind of kind of musical roadblock in the form of something more "K", as T used to describe songs he disapproved of, something perhaps more poppy or just more pedestrian. In the spirit of feeling cold, lost and abandoned, I think I will look at the old iPod and see how many of these orphan songs I have that are probably doing nothing but upping the hip factor (or, at least they did when they were new and hip) and nothing more. They sure as hell aren't being played the most by me.

Violently Happy - Bjork
The Funeral - Band of Horses
The Underdog - Spoon
Highschool Prom - Air
Only Ones Who Know - Arctic Monkeys
Good Woman - Cat Power
Riot Radio - The Dead 60s
Nine Million Bicycles - Katie Melua
Breakin' Up - Rilo Kiley
Love Song - Sara Bareilles
1234 - Feist

Hmmm. Not too many. I'm going to try and not analyze this additional shortcoming- you know, adding to the growing list that tonight includes many, many things. I love the hipster fashion, but I just can't hang, I guess. OK, time for some Van Halen. Maybe ELO is next. Hell yes. -K

P.S. I'm not even hip enough to say I love ELO and be ironic about it. I seriously do love them.

1 comment:

  1. What always comes to mind for me when thinking about Bjork is that I was having a conversation with someone years ago and they said they liked Bork. My response was, "You mean the late 80's Supreme Court nominee?" This comment now just dates me.

    There was a time when Bjork's song Big Time Sensuality was on many of my mixtapes but it is an extremely accessible song, one for the masses. After seeing her husband's art show in London which she is part of, I am just not that cool to be a superfan. I lean more towards M's interpretation now. --J

    ReplyDelete