Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Projekt Revolution, Pt. 2, Tinley Park, IL

When we got to Tinley Park it was sunny and hotter. The main stage was not yet open, but that gave us a chance to hear and watch some of the bands at the Revolution stage. We sat on a grassy knoll that was inhabited by all the other adults looking for any patch of shade next to the stage.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Once the main stage opened up we looked for our seats and then walked up the hill to watch Julien-K perform. The lead singer was at a wedding, so Chester Bennington performed in his place. We got some sun while waiting for 6:00 to hit. Once it did, we headed down to our seats to catch HIM's performance for the second time in 24 hours.

The setlist was the same, so I could sit back, enjoy the show and take a hundred pictures.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I kept thinking to myself, "why am I so obsessed with taking a thousand pictures of this band?" Seriously, you take one, you've taken them all. I guess I was feeling kind of "ME! This is MY moment! I'm going to take a hundred pictures that I won't be able to distinguish later when I download them and post them online!" These photos are so slightly distinguishable from each other, that if I were to be able to flip through them quickly it would be like watching the silent film version of a HIM show.

Here are a handful of those pictures.

Ville looking to his right and smiling- bless him

Ville adjusting the microphone stand

Ville's still not happy with the stand

Ville shifting to the right

Ville smoking and singing

Ville putting a little oomph into it

Ville taking a sip of water

At some point I looked around and saw that I was the only one mouthing the words. Who gives a shit. This was a moment, damn it!

Random Tinley happenings:
I feel as though I saw Madina Lake's Matthew Leone everywhere at Tinley. He drove by us driving a golf cart, walking around saying hello, and may have served me my $6.00 lemonade for all I know.

Speaking of which, C and I were so admiring our lemonade at one point that we did not notice two members of Linkin Park walking next to us. It wasn't until people screamed towards us that we figured out what just happened. Good thing we were alert, eh?

We watched Placebo walk to the stage in between civilians and though they smiled and were congenial, none of the teenage girls noticed at all, poor boys. C and I should have screamed their names just for the helluvit.

Saosin's Justin Shekowski walking around wearing a conical Vietnamese hat.

The acrobatic bassist from Mindless Self Indulgence stood about ten feet away from us. Jimmy Urine from the same band was quickly surrounded by fans at Tinley. I caught some of their set and was impressed with their swagger on stage. The music had a lot of these 80s video game bleeps.

The jumbotrons displayed text messages from concertgoers. Messages like "Cardinals!" would result in boos, "Cubs!" would results in screams. Then there were messages that read "Bam is in the house!" and "Marry me Bam." C and I figured Bam was indeed in the house after the fifth tm came up on the screen. Very cool.

I saw Gerard Way on his cell phone walking by the buses cutting quite the figure in his usual black attire.

The MCR performance was even better up close. The setlist didn't change at Tinley, so I'll just add some of the pics I took. (edit: I need to apologize because I stupidly resized these pics before linking them. I'll upload them in their normal size soon.)
Chicagoan Bob Bryar on a rotating drumkit

Explosive

Bombastic

Gerard in the center, striking a classic pose

More of the show

More shirtless boys… This guy looks like he is not sure if what he's doing could be considered gay.

One of the highlights was in the end of "Mama" when the music turns to a waltz beat. C and I grabbed onto each other and swayed back and forth singing our hearts out. When "Cancer" ended and the lights dimmed, I looked over at C who was wiping tears from her eyes. The trip was coming to a close and we both just stood staring at the stage wishing for more.

We stayed the night with a mutual friend of J's and mine, M. She had wine and food waiting for us and we were able to wind down in the quiet and the comfort of the Chicago suburbs. M was wonderful to see again and she and C got along like old friends. When we collapsed into sleep, I felt extremely lucky that the weekend had gone by with no issue. We hadn't been late, my car wasn't broken into (like it has happened before at a Go-Go's concert in Atlanta), and C and I had our very first road trip under our belts. Though I had no personal encounters with my beautiful creatures, I had least didn't have the inevitable fear that I had made an ass of myself.

When we left, C said to me that she wanted to keep going to concerts with me. I had been worried the whole time that as type-a as I was when it came to this trip that she would be more stressed out and/or bored rather than happy to be there with me. I guess I shouldn't have worried. That night she IM'ed me and wanted me to download the HIM and MCR songs setlists. She's even going to get us tickets to the St. Louis HIM show in October. Hey, maybe it will be cancelled, but at least for now it's something to look forward to. UNBELIEVABLE UNBELIEVABLE UNBELIEVABLE-K

No comments:

Post a Comment