Saturday, September 15, 2007

He's Mad at MTV

I was shirking off responsibility today. Instead of grabbing a paintbrush and helping out on my last full day in the States, I got rather obsessed with Kanye West’s appearance on the Ellen Degeneres show today. So obsessed, that I actually used my handy TiVo to transcribe as best as I could his explanation of his tantrum about MTV. This is what Mr. West had to say:

Let me do the politically correct disclaimer and say that MTV has a lot for me over the years and it’s been thank you, you’re welcome moments back to back. Now last year uh Golddigger didn’t get nominated for video of the year nor Touch the Sky and also lost in the hip hop category to My Humps, which I like My Humps and everything but I think Golddigger was a bigger song and video. This year it got nominated for video of the year. Umbrella won video of the year and other things but it didn’t win for best collaboration to Beautiful Liar where Beyonce was in the audience to win that award, so Beyonce okay you’re not a performer but come to our awards show here’s your award. I just figured you must be spreading the wealth, I guarantee they’re going to give me one of these five nominations. They had me doing this suite which I didn’t really want to do, I wanted to perform Stronger and open the show with Stronger, but okay I’ll do the suite if that’s what you want me to do. I won't bring up the fact Golddigger wasn’t even nominated and then I didn’t win anything and Umbrella won best video because it was the bigger song. Well, if that’s the case, then Golddigger should’ve won because it was the bigger song the previous year so I figure like the rules just kept changing. And then Justin, I love Justin and he’s I feel like he’s my biggest competition, they gave Justin a suite and I begged to perform in the theatre, but they also let Justin close the show performing in the theatre, and I felt at that point oh it’s unfair you’re not giving me the opportunity, my main thing I was mad about is you didn’t give me the opportunity to rock the way I wanted to rock. They didn’t let me perform Stronger the way I knew I could and make this moment in history the way I wanted along with the slap in the face with the five nominations…

On one hand, he sounds like a total baby, but on the other hand, he’s just being honest. All of the performers probably think in the same way but don’t say it. Also, is it all so fixed that they would just give Beyonce an award to get her to come?

When asked about Britney’s performance he said the following:

That performance if it had been pulled off perfectly still wouldn’t have been up to par to start of an MTV awards. There are only a couple of important things in music this year, Umbrella, Amy Winehouse. Britney Spears is not important in music.

I totally agree with him on the last point. --J

2 comments:

  1. I totally believe that MTV would have just given Beyonce an award to come. Hell yeah. All about the ratings... She's kind of a joke now, but she still draws viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we like Kanye's new song because it's him or because it's Daft Punk? I mean what he does is not exactly innovative. He needs to grow up!

    ReplyDelete